Employer Cessation Champions
The New York State Smokers' Quitline features employer champions who provide
employee cessation benefits and support. Our featured Champion is Dr. James L.
Schuppert of Corning.
According to the Public Health Service Clinical Practice Guideline (CPG) for
Treating Tobacco Use and Dependence, there are several key recommendations for
effective tobacco cessation services including:
- Cover at least four (4) counseling sessions. The Public Health
Service guideline recommends telephone based counseling, 4 to 6 sessions.
- Cover nicotine replacement therapies (NRT).
Clients should be eligible for up to 4 to 8 weeks of medication to maintain
tobacco abstinence, depending on the medication. To help, the Quitline provides
eligible callers with a 2-week starter kit of NRT!
- Provide counseling and NRT coverage for at least two smoking
attempts per year.
Most quitters go back to smoking within the first 3 months of quitting,
therefore enrollment into cessations services should be made available to
clients twice a year, with a minimum of 3 months between enrollments.
Visit this employer section often as we add new features including:
- Learn the benefits of tobacco cessation coverage
- Find links to resources and your employer tool-kit
- Learn how you can save with your
tobacco benefit calculator