Menthol Cigarettes...Not So Cool
Research has already
demonstrated the harmful effects of menthol cigarettes and how they are more
than just an added flavoring. Menthol cigarettes produce higher carbon
monoxide levels in the bloodstream which can increase the absorption of
nicotine, make deep inhalation easier to tolerate and result in greater
addiction (Jarvik ME, et. al., 1994). Fortunately the FDA is now
recognizing the appeal of the mint flavoring that makes it easier to start
smoking and harder to quit (New York Times, 2013).
Q: Are menthol cigarettes safer?
- There is no menthol in tobacco plants.
- Menthol is added to cigarettes to make the smoke feel less harsh. But the smoke is still dangerous.
Smokers of menthol cigarettes tend to hold the smoke in their lungs longer.
- Holding the smoke longer allows more poisons to be absorbed.
- The cooler feel of menthol masks the cheaper tobaccos that cigarette manufacturers often use in menthol brands. There is nothing refreshing or natural about menthol. Menthol is an additive put in cigarettes to make smokers believe that the cigarette is less dangerous. This is a lie.
Don't be fooled by the hype:
- While menthol may feel cool on the throat, it is simply
hiding the harsh poisons in the smoke.
| || |
Request a Call
Give us your number, and a Quit Coach will call you to offer help or answer your questions.
Click here to request a call.
Set up automatic Quit Smoking messages to be delivered to your mobile, landline and email! It’s quick, easy and a great way to keep you motivated. Start your messaging today!
| || |
Save Money on Stop Smoking Medications
Need help covering the cost of stop smoking medications? Check out these discounts, Learn more.